Monday, June 9, 2014

Modigliani self portraits.

Modigliani is one of my favorite artists, so I get really excited each year to complete this project with fourth graders.  I teach the students about Amedeo Modigliani first, and stress that it was his unhealthy lifestyle choices that lead to him having such a short life.  They feel pretty grown up about the matter when I tell them that I wouldn't introduce this topic with younger students for that reason. 

I found this lesson originally on Art Projects for Kids, which suggests that you fold the paper into quarters.  This really helps the students map out the page, and it is easy for them to align the facial features and streeeetch the necks out.  



I used gray paper to give a darkish undertone to the portraits.  
Students:
1. Folded the paper into quarters and then unfolded. 
2. Colored heavily in oil pastel. 
3. Used yellow or white oil pastel to give a highlight "halo" around the head. 
4. Heavily outlined EVERYTHING in black, and smear with one finger. 
5. Signed last name in corner in black oil pastel ---- Modigliani style.





No comments:

Post a Comment